Fred B. Johnson
President & Principal
Global Trade Solutions, Inc.
Fred Johnson began his career as a Supply Corps Officer in the US Navy, after graduating from Purdue University in 1971. In 1978, he left the Navy and joined Pratt & Whitney, United Technologies Corporation (UTC) in West Palm Beach, Florida. Mr. Johnson was given positions of greater responsibilities within the Military Product Support Department, culminating with managing over 120 people. In 1987, Mr. Johnson was one of seven individuals selected to participate in a two year, senior management development program which allowed him to select assignments within the Corporation. It was during this period that Mr. Johnson relocated to Connecticut, to begin his career in international business. He has developed a wide range of skills and contacts focusing on strategic business development.
Since starting his own company in 1997 Mr. Johnson was retained, by ITOCHU Corporation, to collaborate on a wide range of international business transactions, from 1997 to 2002. This relationship focused on implementing opportunities that support ITOCHU’s global client base by satisfying their offset and countertrade obligations.Mr. Johnson currently resides in the Nashville Tennessee area. He has two adult sons. He enjoys sailing, camping and recreational shooting.
- Created a subsidiary of UTC in Taiwan and was on the Board of Directors.
- Completed a number of projects in Taiwan, earning over $100 Million of offset credits to meet Pratt & Whitney obligations there.
- Coordinated and completed $20 Million of obligation in Malaysia, working with Malaysian Airlines.
- Managed a Spanish obligation and implemented projects for $30 Million of credits.
- Established a Joint Venture in Taiwan with a Pratt & Whitney supplier.
- Prepared over 40 proposals and assisted subordinates in managing offset activities in 10 countries.
- Negotiated and created a local company with Battelle’s Pacific Northwest Labs in the United Arab Emirates.
- Assisted a startup company to license UTC technology that has lead to a viable startup soon to go public. (This resulted in UTC receiving over $500,000 in license and royalty fees as well as an estimated $10 Million equity in the new IPO.)
- Managed and competed a countertrade transaction in India.
- Generated over $1.5 Million in cash from selling excess UTC offset credits, involving 4 transactions.
- Linked an ITOCHU investment in Kuwait for offset credits (estimated worth over $60Mil)
- Developed two countertrade programs in India that generated over $30 Million in Indian exports.
- Assisted a US company to find partners in Spain and Taiwan and to receive funding to develop and manufacture all composite propeller blades. This activity generated $25 Million in credits in Taiwan.
- Found $1.5 Million of venture capital funding for a software startup client.
- Speaker and trainer at various conferences involving offset and international business opportunities.